School of CS newsletterPublished: Wednesday, 17 October 2018
Weekly newsletter for the School of CS
[ top ]Events
Embracing a digital future: ways of working and future tech
Wednesday 31 October 2018
2pm to 3.30pm, followed by refreshments and networking
Lecture Theatre B, Simon Building, University of Manchester
Following a successful ‘Investing in Success’ award, the Library and IT Services have been working to organise a guest speaker event, focussing on future technologies and new ways of working. They have secured a number of external, inspirational speakers who are experts in the areas of future technology and new ways of working, to come and share their collective experiences of transformation and change. Each speaker is from a different industry and will do a short presentation, followed by panel discussion and questions from the audience. Refreshments including wine and cakes (with gluten free options) will follow in the Simon Building Cafe (ground floor), providing an opportunity for networking and continued discussion.
The speakers are:
- Mindy Jhakra – Technology Manager at Expedia
- Christopher Barnatt – Futurist, Keynote Speaker and Freelance Academic
- Suzie McFarlane – Technology Leader at ASOS
[ top ]Research Funding Opportunities
GambleAware has issued an Invitation to Tender (ITT) for its Innovative Applied Research Grants Scheme (IARGS) 2018. This scheme is focused on the production of innovative applied research that can support policy and practice and bring new evidence and insights to the fore. £2M of funding has been committed over a two-year period and we welcome proposals from a range of academic, charitable and professional organisations.
While this is an open funding call, there are four central themes that we are particularly interested in:
- The Gaming/Gambling Interface (exploring relationships between online gaming, gambling, the role of technology and the internet)
- Mental Health, Gambling and Wellbeing (particularly issues relating to resilience and prevention for people of all ages)
- Corporate Social Responsibility, Sustainability and Responsible Marketing in Gambling
- Cross-cutting Research in Gambling Studies (such as gender diversity, and social policy, and gambling).
The ITT and supporting documents can be found on the GambleAware website.
We will be holding two engagement events to inform prospective bidders of the goals of this grants scheme, and to explore some of the key policy drivers related to our four themes. The dates for the events are as follows:
2 November 2018 London South Bank University Keyworth Centre, 10:00-12:30pm. To book please click here: London Event
8 November 2018 Sheffield Hallam University City Centre Campus, Hallam View 1pm-3:30pm. To book please click here: Sheffield Event