General Events Information
Common expenditures for conferences
- Money to be paid to the Academic Support Office to cover the administrative costs of organising the conference
- Administrative staff working extra hours to cover conference events.
- Building attendants should be organised if conference events take place out of normal hours. Speak to Estates about this.
- Delegates' expenses. A claim form should be ready at the conference or sent out shortly afterwards to each delegate if this is needed. Delegates need to be aware of what they need (original receipts) to claim before they arrive at the conference so that they are all kept.
- Conference stationery. A catalogue for stationery is kept in the External Affairs Office, this is the University's recommended supplier and they already have the right to use the University logo. Remember to leave enough time to order as delivery can take up to 2 weeks or more.
- Conference bags. There is a Face2Face catalogue in ACSO for bags. Remember to leave enough time to order: Average delivery time for personalised items is between 2 and 4 weeks, however complex designs may take longer.
- The venue for the conference if it is not being held within the School in normal hours.
- Accommodation for delegates.
- Equipment hire for events e.g. data projectors.
- Maps of Manchester which can be ordered from Manchester Visitors Centre (238-4587).
- Conference proceedings.
- Catering/excursions/transport for conference events.
Conference registration desk information
Registration desks may need:
- Registration information to hand
- Laptop or notebook to record new information eg: onsite registrations or payments
- Signing in sheet
- Blank receipts for onsite registrations and payments
- Cash box
- Details of special requests/ money owed
- Conference packs for the delegates (which could include receipts, badges, bags, stationery and conference proceedings).
- Maps of Manchester
- Campus Maps (which can normally be found in the External Affairs Office)
- Claim forms if you wish to let anyone make a claim for expenses
Car parking information
- If you wish to organise parking permits for any of your guests they will cost £2 each per day and the Academic Support Office can order these for you.
- If visitors are paying for their own parking, the Aquatics and Booth Street West Multi-storey car parks can be used. Aquatics height restriction is 2.1m and Booth Street West is 2.05m.
Procedure in the event of an accident
If an accident occurs during an event you are hosting, it may be necessary to fill out an accident form, which can be found here.
- If the accident happens to an external outside of University property, the building where the accident has taken place will have to fill out a report and send it to us.
- If the accident happens to an external on University property, we fill out a form.
- If the accident happens to a member of University staff on our property, we fill out a form.
- If the accident happens to a member of University staff outside of University property, the building where the accident has taken place fills out a report and gives it to us.
- In all cases, a copy of the report is given to Health and Safety Services in our University.
Useful contacts for events
- University branded goods from 'gift shop'
- Bespoke items branded for University events from 'wholesale gift shop'
- The Academic Support Office home page
- Conference checklist
- Out of hours passes in the Student Support Office
- Central Teaching Spaces 275 7305
- Signage around University, Richard Handscombe 306 4076