School of Computer Science
4 March 2013
Graduation day will be Wednesday 17th July at 2:30. There will be a reception in the School either before or after the ceremony, details will be circulated shortly.
Google film of the Baby
Google will be working with Eva Navarro to make a short film about the Baby for its 65th Anniversary (this year). It is likely to be released around June 2013 and be a similar length to the film that Google made about Atlas, which has had >18,000 hits on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TRfy70DqD8
International Women’s Day 8 Mar 13
International Women's Day is celebrated every year on 8th March. There will be a number of events celebrating the role of women at The University of Manchester.
School Research Office
Please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is information about support for grant writing and submission at http://www.cs.manchester.ac.uk/reso/
ARTEMIS Joint Undertaking Call 8 Mar 2013
· Expression of interest deadline: 8 Mar 2013 (not compulsory)
· ARTEMIS Spring Event: 13-14 Mar 2013, Brussels
· Closing date: 4pm 6 Jun 2013
ARTEMIS Industry Association is the association for Embedded Systems in Europe, representing a consortium of industry. The ARTEMIS Joint Undertaking call is open to all R&D parties active in Embedded Systems research (including hardware, software, systems design and HCI). Proposals generally include a group of industrial partners who are keen to get input from academic partners, and focus on research that is ‘close to market’.
Significant amounts of funding are available over 3 domains and within the ARTEMIS sub-programmes (ASPs):
· ASP1 Methods & processes for safety-relevant ES
· ASP2 ES for healthcare & wellbeing
· ASP3 ES in smart environments
· ASP4 Manufacturing & process automation
· ASP5 Computing platforms for ES
· ASP6 ES for security & the protection of critical infrastructure
· ASP7 ES to support sustainable urban life
· ASP8 Human-centred design of ES
Sarah Chatwin has hardcopy information available.
British Science Association Media Fellowships 18 Mar 2013
· Closing date: 18 Mar 2013
Up to 10 Media Fellowships are awarded each year to scientists, social scientists, clinicians and engineers from different backgrounds and stages of their career.
Media Fellows spend 3-6 weeks over the summer working with a media host: national press, broadcast or internet media, as well as working in the Press Centre at the British Science Festival! Applicants need a minimum of 2 years postgraduate experience and have permission from your employer/ funder.
Digital Railway information and consortia-building day 25 Mar 2013
• Mon 25 Mar 2013 - Coventry TechnoCentre
The aim of this free day-event is to get industry and academia together to understand the £5m Technology Strategy Board (TSB) and Rail Safety and Standards Board (RSSB) funding available and potentially build project consortia including the following capabilities:
• network capabilities and services, including cloud services
• Internet of Things
• big data
• modelling and simulation supporting data interpretation
• systems integration with physical assets
• visualisation and decision support
• satellite applications
• business models drawn from the digital and creative industries
• crowd-sourcing and social media
• digital services for engaging customers through feedback or incentives
Enabling the Digital Railway projects are expected to range from £500k to £2m and must be business-led but academic partners may be included in consortia (for up to 30% award). Please register for the event if you plan to attend.
• Briefing webinar 9 April 2013
• Registration deadline 8 May 2013 noon
• Expressions of interest (EOI) deadline 15 May 2013 noon
• Stage 2 opens (for invited applicants) 10 June 2013
• Deadline for invited applications 24 July 2013 noon
British Academy/Leverhulme Small Research Grants 10 Apr 2013
· Closing date: 10 Apr 2013
Good for researchers with links in Humanities…The British Academy is currently inviting applications for the BA/Leverhulme Small Research Grants scheme to support primary research in the humanities and social sciences. Individual and collaborative applications worth £500-10,000 are welcome for projects up to 2 years, starting after 1 Sept 2013.
Funds are available to facilitate initial project planning and development; to support the direct costs of research; and to enable the advancement of research through workshops or conferences, or visits by or to partner scholars. Applicants need to register themselves on e-GAP and the results are expected by end July 2013.
South American Post-Doc and staff mobility opportunities
· Closing date: various
Are you interested in building links with Brazil or Chile as part of your research? There are a variety of opportunities available and coming up to visit or work in these countries through Science without Borders and the São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP) for researchers at all levels.
Please contact Sarah Chatwin as soon as possible for full information.
Marie Curie Information and Proposal Writing Events
Registration is now open for Marie
Curie Individual Fellowships and Career Integration Grants General
Information and Proposal Writing half-day events. Sessions will provide
participants with information on the Marie Curie Individual Fellowships
(Intra-European Fellowships (IEF), International Outgoing Fellowships (IOF),
and International Incoming Fellowships (IIF)) and the Career Integration